Friday, April 29, 2011

I'm saailing aaaawaaaaay!

No, not really. I just couldn't think of anything else to title it as. (Yes, I know I broke like 6978 bloglaws.... why?)
Anyways! Yesterday we had some more storms roll thru. This time Bug was home. Before the storms even got anywhere near us, I ran down the plan of action with the kiddos. Monk acted like a pro! "Yeah Mom... I know... we put on these bike helmets, get in the bath tub and huddle together in a downward motion." Bug on the other hand didn't really know what to do, so we showed her a few times and got on with our day.

We went to WalMart to get some tape and exchange our digital scale for the candle company. It was about 8:30 when we got there. It was almost a ghost town! There were very few cars in the parking lot, and there was only one person in the "speedy check out" buying smokes. I chatted with the cashier, we joked about the upcoming weather and how people around here go crazy in any type of weather. Which is pretty true, but I think that this freak out was just a bit warranted considering we had 3 confirmed tornadoes in town (Up to F3s!) less than 2 weeks ago. One of the guys that I used to work with was posting on facebook about how he thought everyone was stupid for being so freaked out about the storm because it's spring and we always get storms. I reminded him of the tornadoes and he responded with "Well, they didn't hit me, so what do I care?" I was a bit astonished really.

Then we get a knock on the door. You know that knock... the "Police knock"... that was the one! I sort of froze a bit and then decided that I should answer it. I always get nervous when I hear knocks like that. I think it comes from a few things really. 1) We're in a military town... everybody HATES hearing knocks like that... especially when their loved one is deployed. 2) Sam is still considered active duty, and the thought of something happening to him at work scares the bejesus out of me! 3) Because it scared the bejesus out of me! It turned out to be the UPS man delivering our Raspberry and Strawberry plants! I still can't believe we got SO many!! Now we just need to hurry and make the final prep for the strawberries to go in the ground! ACK! Sam says he's going to work the ground by hand.... somehow I think he's going to peter out before he gets it all done, but he could surprise me! The raspberry bushes were sent in a dormant state, so, we won't be enjoying any raspberries this year, but next year we should get at least a few! (I hope! LOL)

The storm finally approached and it wasn't all that bad. There was a little bit of lightning and a lot of wind! We went thru a "live" drill, where we packed everything into it's spot (important family documents and house insurance info in a waterproof bag with us) and got in the tub. We only stayed there for a little bit, but it was a run! Of course, the dogs were another issue. We didn't want Lilly getting under one of the beds and be struggling to get her out in a REAL emergency, so we shut all the doors to the bedrooms. She decided that under the very bottom section of the table would be a fantastic place to hide. Good thing it wasn't a REAL emergency, I don't know that we would have been able to get her out of there! We finally decided that everything was going to be just fine, and I made taco salad for dinner. We sat down to eat and then the Heavens closed and it suddenly went dark and a DOWNPOUR came. There was TONS of lightning and it was amazing! About 20 minutes after that the Heavens opened again and the sun came out and there was a gorgeous rainbow!

Greys Anatomy was new, so I went to bed a happy camper!!

Prince William and Kate got married this morning, but I managed to get ready to go jogging and fall back to sleep! I have no idea how that happened! Anyways! Now the kids and I are going to go to Sams Club and buy about 685462168 cans of veggies! :-D I hope they all fit in my truck!!

1 comment:

The Bug said...

Scary times down there! I'm just relieved that other than high wind it hasn't been that bad here.

Did you tell the UPS man that he knocks like a cop? :)