Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 1: Your favorite song

My favorite song... wow.. that's a tough one! I've had many "favorite" songs in my time. I can't narrow it down to just one! I'll pick my Top 5 and tell you why I like them so much.

1. Magic by Colbie Caillat- I really like this song because it's Sam and I's song. You know, that one song that you and your significant other have decided sounds the most like your relationship. Well, that wasn't exactly why it's our song, but, sorta is. It's just been the one song that if we're stressed or need to relax, we just listen to it together and it makes us both really happy.

2. People Are Strange by The Doors- What can I say, I'm a sucker for a hot guy in leather pants! Honestly, (other than thinking he was a God with shoulder-length curly hair) I always found Jim Morrison to be quite the literary genius. I know that sounds like quite a stretch for a man that committed suicide in a bath-tub in Paris, but, I read his auto-bio when I was in high school, and he had such a great mind, just a strange way of getting the information out. I always related to the song, because I was always felt myself a bit strange when compared myself to my peers. Now, at the ripe age of 30 (on Saturday) I have come to realize that everyone is a bit strange, and that's exactly what this song is talking about. (Okay, so I figure out that's what the song is about way before now.....)

3. Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk by Rufus Wainwright- Oh Rufus... if only you liked WOMEN! *sigh* This song is such a great song. The way that I take it is that you always want something that isn't usually all that great for you. It's about how you, hopefully, will conquer those things in your life and come out standing at the end. It's one of those songs that can be taken SO many ways. Look up the lyrics, or better yet, listen to the song, and make up your own mind. (I also have to add a Thank You to Dann for ever introducing me to Rufus. <3)

4. Across The Universe by The Beatles- Okay, so, I'm sad to announce that I should have been born at the same time as my Mother. I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE "moldy oldies" as I called them when I was young. I also like the Rufus Wainwright cover of this song for the movie I Am Sam (Fantastic movie btw...) too. The song itself is very open to interpretation, which is why I love it so much. Way back when, when I was a stupid teenager, I listened to this song one time when I was stoned (Yes... I know smoking weed is bad, like I said "stupid teenager" and I haven't done it since then... so NYA!) it made PERFECT sense. Then I got paranoid that the cops were going to catch me and started yelling at people for staring at me. LOL

5. Winter by Tori Amos- God, I LOVE this song. It's been a favorite of mine for a very very *very* long time. Again, I must thank Dann for this one. I dated Dann a very long time ago, and he was an incredibly sweet, wonderful man, that I had the privileged of knowing. Dann was everything that I could have ever thought I was looking for (at the time). We talked, we shared, we held intelligent conversations about more than just regular every day things. Dann would come home from work, call me, and play the piano for me every day. He was always a wonderfully supportive friend first, then a boyfriend. One day, towards the end of our relationship, he played this song for me. He told me that this was his song to me. I never got it, not for a long time after he and I split up and *really* listened to the song. One line has stuck with me to this day. "Your must learn to stand up for yourself/ Cause I can't always be around" He was trying to tell me that I needed to stand on my own. That I needed to be me, fly or fall. At the time I was too "young" to get what he meant. He may have been a few years younger, but he was far wiser that I could even think of being. I'm sure that there are many other interpretations to this song as well, but that is what I took away from it. Since I've moved to NC, I have done just that. I have stood on my own, fly or fall, and sometimes I have fallen, and I realize that it's just one of the ways of life.

No comments: