Monday, May 31, 2010

This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions. I have been high, low, and everything in between! I'm going to go back and attempt to explain this in chronological order, so, it's going to start about the time Sam and I started dating. (I'm not going to give you a day by day... calm down!)

Sam and I actually started dating for a couple of reasons, but, one of those was because I had called him one night because my male roommate was acting like a crazy person, and I asked if he would stay with me that night to make sure everything was okay. Well, once I got the male roommate (AKA Crazy-bastard) moved out, and a female roommate, who was the daughter of a co-worker, moved in, things were good to go! It was like a girls house actually. There were knick-knacks here and there, you know... the whole works! Well, my roommate, Moo as I called her, had a lot of friends that I didn't have. One of those friends, I met just once. Her name was Anneka. Now, some bad things happened at the place that Moo and I were living at, and we decided to move out. Moo and I were supposed to move into a bigger place, but it wasn't meant to be, and Moo and I parted ways amicably. I ended up staying with another co-worker named Steph for a while, and one of our friends (and co-worker) came over a lot. Now, a few times, she brought her sister.... Anneka, who also worked at the same place that I did, but left the company right before I got hired.

Now you know the back story. Let me fast forward to Sunday 23May. So, my former manager, and friend, Meridith, sends me a text and tells me Anneka hasn't been home since Saturday, and nobody has heard from her, and that they were going to report her missing. So, this week we made and passed out fliers to many local businesses. Meridith and I had high hopes, but as the days passed on, we knew that something was terribly wrong. On Thursday 27May, they found Annekas' body beside a drainage ditch in a rural field in a different county. She was killed by a 24 year old Marine and her body dumped there and covered with brush.

My heart stopped at that moment. I may not have known Anneka very well, but, I knew her sister pretty well. We shared some friends. We shared motherhood. I couldn't fathom how someone could do this to another person. How someones life is worth so little that it can be taken in an instant. I don't understand how people can just not care! She had a little boy! How could you take a mother away from a child? What sort of monster does that?!

2 comments:

USMCWIFE said...

Its so sad, I don't think we can ever understand why these things happen. Thinking of all of you effected by this tragedy.
((((HUGS)))))

That One Girl said...

Thanks... it's been a very hard week for us all. There was a memorial fund set up for her little boy, and we're also accepting donations of books as well.
The service is this Wednesday. A friend is watching the kiddos for us so we can go.
It was just such a senseless crime. One that I don't think I will ever get over.