Monday, May 17, 2010

It's Magic!

Okay, so nothing overly exciting has happpened for a while. Sorry, I'm boring! ;-)

This past weekend, I got a call from my good friend Bill from Frost Magic Productions and told me that he was doing a show in a nearby town and invited all of us as his guest. I have known Bill for about 3 years now
(Wow! Has it really been that long?!) and would consider him a good friend. He's a great guy, with a lot of talents. He is a magician (Frost Magic Productions) and also has a martial arts school (United Martial Arts). He's very good at what he does. Like I said, I've known Bill for about 3 years now, and only recently have I been able to call him anything but "Master Frost." If you are looking for a great martial arts school, learn some self defense, or a magician for a party, he's your man!!

Anyways, enough of my shameless plugs for Bill! *Sorry Bill!! ;-)* Sam and I decided that it would be good for the kids to have a little fun, and the drive was only about 45 minutes, so it wasn't too horrible. Of course, I was told the time was 2:30 and 6 P.M., and it was actually 2 and 6:30 P.M.! So, we showed up just after 2:30, and were told that we could go in, but he was about half done with his show. So, we decided that we would go get something to eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Not a big deal! We ended up driving to Surf City, which is on Topsail Island, about 15 miles up the road. It was nice to get out to the beach and smell the ocean *Did I just say that?! The ocean smells like dead fish! Ew!* and feel the nice breeze. We had lunch at a little place off the main road called Long Island Pizza. Great place! The food was great, reasonably priced, and the staff was extremely friendly! They brought out coloring books and crayons for Monkey and Bug, who happily colored a few pictures while waiting for our pie to show up. We all had a slice or two (or half in Bugs case) of pizza and dessert. Sam and I (I shared with Bug) got the Tiramisu, and Monkey had a Cannoli. Boy was Monkey in Heaven! Little crunchy dough wrapped around creamy sugar frosting and mini chocolate chips drizzled with chocolate?! What more could an 11 year old sugar addicted ADHD kid want or need?! After that, we drove up the coast looking at all the houses and talked about how we would buy one if we ever won the lottery. Monkey and Bug thought that was a FANTASTIC idea, I thought about all the wonderful nights sleep I would get listening to the ocean, and Sam thought about how high the Home Owners Insurance would be! *giggle* We can dream can't we?!

We finally drove back to the high school that the magic show was at and Sam finally got to meet Bill, after months of "Bill this," and "Bill that." He was amazes at how much the kiddos look like me, and how tall they are. I don't find them that tall, but as a 5'8" tall female, I'm not exactly short either. (Not to say that Bill is short... he's just... not as tall as others!!) We chatted for a little bit and then we took our seats. The schools Jazz band was playing. They were pretty good for a high school band! I did think that the one saxophonist was getting a little too much love in the solo department tho.

When the magic show started, the kids were AMAZED! He magically exchanged places with his assistant who was handcuffed in a box, cut a woman in half, and many other things, along with some comedy, which had us all laughing. Bug still asks me how "Mr. Bill" cut the woman in half! Monkey wants to know how he got the balloon dog back together and into the bag. Though they were a bit disappointed that they weren't called on stage, I told them that there were a lot of other boys and girls there that may not get another chance to see Bill perform and we would, so, there would be other times that they could get called on stage. They seemed satisfied by that. Bill invited Monkey and Bug to come out to the martial arts school and take a couple classes. Monkey thinks that's a FANTASTIC idea, and Sam thinks it would be good for Bug for when she gets older. (I think mostly so she can take care of herself a little better and he can stay out of jail for trying to kill some boy who thinks it's okay to put his hands on her... LOL) Overall, we all had a fantastic time watching Bills show, hanging out at the beach, and doing a little day dreaming.

Yesterday, we were pretty much bums. Monkey and Sam played Lego Star Wars for a big part of the day because of a pretty good Thunderstorm that came rolling through in the afternoon. Bug helped me make garlic and herb chicken with smashed potatoes and corn. We watched a show called "Wreckreation Nation" which was pretty good. They were racing lawnmowers, which the boys thought was super awesome, and wrestling alligators, which we all thought was super cool, until one of the participants got bit in the face, then I was the only one who thought it was cool. Bug and I did the laundry together. Most the time she got in the way, but, she wanted to help, so, she helped me sort the clothes into piles, put the detergent in, dropped the fabric softner ball in, and put the clothes in the washer. She did her best, and that's all I could ask for. All in all, it was a fantastic weekend!

No comments: